Friday, October 21, 2005

Viva Bardot

Thanks to the King Country Library system--the only thing that King County has ever done right--I came across a film from my murky past when I was an over stimulated junior high student "Viva Maria" starring Bridget Bardot.
For some reason, Viva Maria had stuck in my mind as one of those hot films I was too young to see in 1965, so it gave me some joy to check off one more item on my list of boyhood prurient goals.
The plot and acting are pretty much what you would expect for a mid-1960s comedy/action/naughty film. The main hook of the story is that Maria and Maria inadvertently develop the strip tease and then help to lead a revolution in a central american country. (This is why I could never make it in Hollywood. I would break out laughing trying to pitch this script).
Bardot is pretty, but unfortunately doesn't spend enough time stripping or singing. Also, the Maxim machine gun doesn't get enough screen time either. However, it's worth a watch if you would like to get a taste of what made the 1960s cheesey, and what got your dad's heart beating faster.
Added bonus, George Hamilton plays a supporting role for an extra touch of lounge lizard nostalgia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home