Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Dreams of Old California

When I write 'Old California' in the head above I'm not thinking about Zorro, Spanish misisons, or the Father Junipero. What I have before me is the fact that California will soon be a state full of geezers--even more than Florida.

The article ponders can California be cool if it's so old? Their answer is yes, but I have to disagree. The California cool was always based on what the kids were doing. As the kids become a smaller part of the population will the geezers pay attention? I think not, as the biggest vice of the boomer generation is narcism. It will take a Herculean effort for the boomers to direct their attention away form 60s and 70s.

1 Comments:

Blogger Diligent Blogger said...

I agree! California cool was more than just style, it was about movement and change. I relish the old snapshots of my father by the plam trees, looking young and relaxed in his snazzy shortsleeve sports shirt and trim slacks. Who could guess that a few short years before he had been growing up on a farm. California cool was about the surfing, hot rodding, playing volleyball on the beach, and even tinkering around with electronics in the garage. Esalen's endless navel gazing, accompanied by by excited self-centered babbling, was hardly cool, instead it was boring in comparison and spelled the beginning of the end of California cool.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home