Thursday, November 17, 2005

Back to the Future! Please

I don't know if you'd call it googie, modern, or missiles-pointed-at-God architecture, but the Air Force Academy's chapel has to be the prime example to come out of the late 1950s of the building-of-tomorrow-today style. It was an attempt to design buildings with tailfins to go along with the ones on our Cadillacs.

When I came upon this photo at first I thought it was cheesy, but then I remembered how at that time we were planning to send astronauts to Mars , drive flying cars , and fly in atomic airplanes. It was time when the United States still believed in technology. Now this view is considered naïve, but when I think of our current state I say we've lost a hope in a bright and shining future for us and our kids.

Here in the Puget Sound we'll spend billions on a light rail system that starts in downtown and goes to the airport—basically a train to nowhere. Most people don't live downtown and most people don't do business in downtown, e.g., Microsoft is in Redmond, Boeing is in Everett, and the Army and Air Force bases are in Tacoma. Trains have been dead since the 1950s, but our best and brightest in government continues to think that the public cries out for rails. Why not stage coaches or goat carts

I saw stop. Stop now. Give up the past and let us get back to embracing the future. ? Once we dreamed of roads 16 lanes wide with flying overpasses crossing rivers and deserts. Lets start putting wings and chrome on our world again, embrace googie, mega engineering projects, crass materialistic consumption, and offer our children a future that is bright exciting, and full of promise they'll do more and be more than us.

(P.S. I still want my flying car)

1 Comments:

Blogger Diligent Blogger said...

Now that's a future I can get excited about!

I notice the light rail is elevated in SOuth County, so we get the stereo-rail transit system.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home