Monday, November 28, 2005

Cowboy Kitsch

When I was a kid, we would take a classic car vacation. This was the time before jet airfares became affordable. Dad would take one or two weeks off from work and load the wife and us kids in the car and hit the open road for days and days.

These trips would consume thousands of miles of highway and would crisscross the country. Most of our car vacations took place in the southwest, west, and northwest. (Although there was one trip to the east coast to visit the east coast, but that's a tale for another day.) You drive each day several hundred miles to reach a new item of interest such as: Disneyland, The Grand Canyon, Cedar Breaks, The Seattle World's Fair, etc.

At many of the places we would stop it was common to encounter a style of decorating that was inspired by themes of cowboy gear and western vistas.

Recently while looking for travel information on Nevada, I was thrilled to find that this style still lives on at websites such as:

Looking at this stuff makes me wish I had a classic mountain cabin (or a steak house) I could festoon with these nifty items.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diligent Blogger said...

Ah! So that's what inspired the old Boots and Hat service station.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Most likely. However, the station must of been aimed at attracking tourist as cowboys have never been a part of Seattle culture or history.
I've read there's an old coffe pot themed building down in Tacomas too.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Diligent Blogger said...

There's a cowboy themed 24 hour greasy spoon in Bellingham, that actually does cater to the cowboys and loggers. I ate there back in the 70s and the place still looks the same (at least from the outside--I eat at the Pepper Sisters these days) when I was last in Bellingham: http://whatcom.kulshan.com/Washington/Whatcom_County/Bellingham/Downtown/Restaurants/Horseshoe.htm

5:59 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Live and learn. Cowboys on the east side of the state. I wouldn't have thought it.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

That's amazing you still have that lamp kit. I remember buying one of those too on one of my vacation trips. More western kitsch.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Diligent Blogger said...

Last time I was in Arizona, I searched in vain for a rattlesnake farm. No luck, only spas with trendy art galleries and upscale boutiques.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home